Interlibrary Loan Policy
The Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota, provides Interlibrary Loan privileges as a service to supplement the collections and electronic resources available on campus and through the campus network. The Library will seek the most cost-effective loans possible, but there are costs associated with the loan of materials. Faculty, staff and students are asked to use Interlibrary Loan services judiciously in conjunction with their research.
- Interlibrary loan is available to currently registered students (including Distance Education and online students), current and emeritus faculty, and current staff of the University of North Dakota. Students, faculty and staff whose primary library is the Health Sciences Library or Thormodsgard Law Library should contact them for services.
- Interlibrary Loan requests may be submitted by completing:
- Paper form turned in at the Access Services Desk in the Chester Fritz Library
- Online ILL Request Form
- ODIN ILL Request Form
- The Library will attempt to notify the requestor upon receipt of the requested materials via email at the UND email address on your library patron record. However, the requestor should also check the status of the request through the ODIN online library system.
- Some libraries charge for borrowing items. The Chester Fritz Library will try to find the requested item from a source that does not charge. If such a source is not available,
- Faculty will be asked to pay the full charge
- Students will be asked to pay the difference for any charges exceeding $25
This happens infrequently. When it does,
- We will ask your permission before filling the request
- The cost must be prepaid before the library borrows the item
- Because the costs incurred in the Interlibrary Loan process are significant, it is important that the requested materials be needed and used. The requestor’s university account will be charged $10 for each photocopy request not picked up within 30 days of receipt or for each book or other returnable item not picked up before its due date.
- An interlibrary loan renewal may be requested once only. A request for renewal is not a guarantee. Granting of renewal and length of renewal is at the discretion of the lending library. Some libraries do not allow renewals, and the band on your item may say “No Renewal.”
To request a renewal of your interlibrary loan item, ask at the Circulation desk or call us at 701-777-4631. Please request your renewal about a week before the due date. You will need to check with us for the new due date. If renewal is denied, the item must be returned by its original due date to avoid overdue fines.
If you are a distance student please refer to the Distance Users ILL Policy.
For additional information, contact the Interlibrary Loan Office, Second Floor, Chester Fritz Library, telephone: 701-777-4631, or the Reference Desk, telephone: 701-777-4629.
August 22, 2016