Borrowing and Renewing
The Access Services Desk is located on the 2nd floor and is open during regular building hours.
Who may check out materials?
- Students, faculty, and staff of UND may check out materials with their U card.
- UND emeritus faculty, UND alumni, and borrowers affiliated with the North Dakota University System (NDUS) may check out materials. Stop by the Access Services Desk on the 2nd floor for more information.
- Members of the community may purchase a library card for $10 per year.
Emeritus Faculty Access
- Emeritus faculty member should maintain access to their UND email address (or have their UND email forwarded to their primary email account), as this is the way that we will contact you about official library business
- You may use your faculty U Card to check out items. If you no longer have your card, we will make you a new library card upon request.
- You will be able to renew items online before the due date, usually up to 12 times. If you need to renew after the due date, you will need to visit the library or call Access Services at 701.777.4644.
- You retain Interlibrary Loan privileges. You will need to register before placing your first request as an emeritus faculty member. Distance emeritus faculty members should also contact ILL (701.777.4631) for more information.
- Note that branch libraries (Music, Geology, and EERC) give privileges at their discretion and based on their own policies. Contact the branch library directly if you have questions about their policies. The Law and SMHS libraries are completely separate from CFL and are not included in the policies listed on our site.
- Read through the sections above for more information about the total number of items allowed to be checked out, overdue fees, and additional CFL lending notices that also apply to emeritus faculty members.
Checking Out Resources
UND students, faculty, and staff use their U Card. Emeritus faculty, alumni, NDUS borrowers, and community members will be issued a card at the Access Services desk.
Members of the community may purchase a library card for a small yearly fee. Apply at the Access Services desk on the second floor of the library.
Visiting scholars are eligible for library borrowing privileges. Please have the chair of your sponsoring department sign the Visiting Scholar Form. Submit this form to the Access Services desk on the second floor of the library.
It depends on two things: what kind of item you’re checking out and your relationship with the university. Also, library items may be recalled (see below). Checkout periods by borrower type and material type are listed on our Loan Policies page.
Our current limit for checkouts is 200 items.
There are currently four self checkout machines in the library. They are located:
- near the south entrance (1st floor)
- near the north entrance (1st floor)
- across from the Knowledge Commons (2nd floor)
- across from the Access Services desk (2nd floor)
To use the self checkout machines:
- Scan the barcode or slide the magnet strip on your staff/ faculty or student ID OR enter in your UND email and password
- Scan the barcode of the item you would like to checkout, the barcode reader is on the bottom of the kiosk. Move the barcode so that the red light covers the barcode
- If you are checking out DVDs or CDs, make sure all materials are present and accounted for
- When you are done, tap 'Log Out'. You will get an email receipt with your due dates
There is also an app that will allow you to check out CFL material. Install the app ‘UND Libraries Checkout’ on your phone and use it to check things out. The app is available for both iPhone and Android. Just search your app store for ‘UND Libraries Checkout’.
After installing the app on your phone, sign in with your UND username and password, and take photos of the barcode with your phone. This app works with books at work at Chester Fritz Library, the Music Library, the Geology Library, and the Energy and Environment Research Center!
One thing to note: You need to have location services turned on when you start the app so it can figure out which library you’re at.
Find Course Reserves
Search for your class by instructor or course number using the Course Reserves search.
Is there any technology I can borrow?
We have several technological devices available for use both in and out of the library.
- Oculus go: standalone VR 64-GB, 2 hour loan (in-library use only)
- Wired USB headset- includes mic and volume control, 2 hour loan (in-library use only)
- Calculators, most are scientific, no graphic calculators, 1 day loan
- USB charging cables- USB to Mini USB, Micro USB, Lightning, 30pin., 2 hour loan (in-library use only)
- Portable DVD/ Blu Ray players- will play any DVD region code, 7 day loan (only available for UND students, faculty, and staff)
If a book you need is already checked out, you may request a recall, meaning that the current borrower must return it so that you can check it out. Please come to the Access Services desk on 2nd Floor to request a recall.
Recalls are important because some borrowers, such as faculty or graduate students, are allowed to check out books for very long periods (as much as a year in some cases). Recalls ensure that if someone else needs such a book, they can get it in a reasonable time frame.
You may renew most materials online. Please note the new due date.
If you have trouble, contact the Access Services department (2nd Floor, Chester Fritz Library or call 701-777-4644).
Items that have not been returned or renewed by the due date will be subject to overdue fees.
Interlibrary Loans cannot be renewed online. If you'd like to request a renewal for an Interlibrary Loan, contact the Access Services desk by phone (701.777.4631), through email, or by asking in person. Requests should be made 7-10 days in advance of the due date. Renewals cannot be guaranteed and are limited to a maximum of one renewal per item. Due dates are at the discretion of the lending library. Items that have not been returned or renewed by the due date may be subject to overdue fees. Please check your record for the new due date or contact Interlibrary Loan.
If items are not returned or renewed on time, a $10.00 per item non-refundable overdue fine/processing fee may be assessed and library privileges are suspended.
You are responsible for material checked-out on your card. Non-receipt of notices does not excuse you from your responsibility to return materials on time. Patrons are informed of the due date when they check an item out.
UND Faculty, students, and staff can use Inter-Library Loan (ILL) to borrow books and other items from libraries around the world. For more information, see our ILL overview.return
COVID-19 procedures: If you are graduating or moving out of the dorms and wish to return your ILL material,
you may use the book drop along University Avenue in front of the library. Otherwise,
due to construction inside CFL and because lending libraries are closed, we ask that
you please hold on to your materials until fall semester.
The book return has separate slots to return either books or media (DVDs, etc.), so double-check before putting your items in the return.
Users are responsible for damage to charged materials until they are discharged from their record. Damage to books and/or materials returned in a book drop will be billed to the user.