Borrowing & Renewals
Note: 3rd floor is currently closed to the public; however, we are able to retrieve books and other items for you from this floor. Place a hold on the book or item that you need to access, and Access Services will send you an email when the item is available for pickup.
Who can check out materials from the Chester Fritz Library?
UND students, faculty, and staff may check out materials.
In addition, UND emeritus faculty, UND alumni, and borrowers affiliated with the North Dakota University System (NDUS) may check out materials.
Members of the community may purchase a library card for $10 per year.
Where do I get my library card?
UND students, faculty, and staff use their U Card. Distance-only students may use their distance card, which is mailed directly to them when they first register for distance library services.
Alumni, NDUS borrowers, and community members will be issued a card at the Access Services desk.
Members of the community may purchase a library card for $10 per year. Apply at the Access Services desk on the second floor of the library.
Visiting scholars are eligible for library borrowing privileges. Please have the chair of your sponsoring department sign the Visiting Scholar Form. Then submit it to the Access Services desk, on the second floor of the library.
How long can I keep things I check out?
It depends on two things: what kind of item you’re checking out and your relationship with the university. Also, library items may be recalled (see below). Checkout periods by borrower type and material type are also listed on our Loan Policies page.
|Books*||UND Students: Book loans due end of semester
UND Alumni and Emeritus faculty, NDUS and Unaffiliated Borrowers: 30-day checkout
UND Faculty/Staff: Book loans due end of spring semester (May)
Journals, Magazines, DVDs,
|Course Reserves||Determined by instructor|
|Branch Library Materials||Policies may vary by branch: EERC | Geology | Music|
|Interlibrary Loans||Determined by lending library|
* Some materials may be non-circulating.
How many items can I check out at a time?
Our current limit for checkouts is 200 items at a time.
How do I find course reserves?
Search for your class by instructor or course number using the Course Reserves search.
What’s a "recall" and how does it work?
If a book you need is already checked out, you may "recall" it, meaning that the current borrower must return it so that you can check it out. Please come to the Access Services desk on 2nd Floor to request a recall.
Recalls are important because many borrowers are allowed to check out books for long periods (as much as a year in some cases). Recalls ensure that if someone else needs such a book, they can get it in a reasonable time frame.
How do I renew things?
You may renew most materials online. Please note the new due date.
If you have trouble, contact the Access Services department (2nd Floor, Chester Fritz Library or call 701-777-4644).
Items that have not been returned or renewed by the due date will be subject to overdue fees.
Interlibrary Loans cannot be renewed online. Requests for renewal of interlibrary loans may be made in-person at the Access Services desk, by phone (701-777-4631), or through UND email (email@example.com.) Requests should be made 7-10 days in advance of the due date. Renewal cannot be guaranteed and is limited to a maximum of one renewal per item. Due dates are at the discretion of the lending library and items that have not been returned or renewed by the due date may be subject to overdue fees. Please check your record for the new due date or contact Interlibrary Loan.
How much are overdue fees?
If items are not returned or renewed on time, a $10.00 per item non-refundable overdue fine/processing fee may be assessed and library privileges are suspended.
You are responsible for material checked-out on your ID. Non-receipt of notices does not excuse you from your responsibility to return materials on time. Patrons are informed of the due date when they check out.
What if I need something the library does not have?
UND Faculty, students, and staff can use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to borrow books and other items from libraries around the world. For more information, see our ILL overview.
What access do emeritus faculty members have?
- Emeritus faculty member should maintain access to their UND email address (or have their UND email forwarded to their primary email account), as this is the way that we will contact you about official library business
- You may use your faculty U Card to check out items. If you no longer have your card, we will make you a new library card upon request.
- You will be able to renew items online before the due date, usually up to 12 times. If you need to renew after the due date, you will need to visit the library or call Access Services at 701.777.4644.
- You retain Interlibrary Loan privileges. You will need to register before placing your first request as an emeritus faculty member. Distance emeritus faculty members should also contact ILL (701.777.4631) for more information.
- Note that branch libraries (Music, Geology, and EERC) give privileges at their discretion and based on their own policies. Contact the branch library directly if you have questions about their policies. The Law and SMHS libraries are completely separate from CFL and are not included in the policies listed on our site.
- Read through the sections above for more information about the total number of items allowed to be checked out, overdue fees, and additional CFL lending notices that also apply to emeritus faculty members.