- Loan Policies
- Interlibrary Loan
- Distance ILL Policy
- Circulating Proxy Policy
- Room Policy
- Collection Development
- Special Collections
- Branch Libraries
Appendices to Periodicals Collection Development Policy
Appendix X: Adding a New Serial Title Procedure
- Formally solicit requests for additions to the periodical collection from:
- University departments, through a memorandum to the deans, the departmental chairpersons, and the library liaisons;
- University students through an announcement in the Dakota Student and posters in the Chester Fritz and branch libraries and collections;
- University faculty and staff by announcement in the University Letter.
- Requests for subscriptions to additional titles must be submitted to the Head of Collection Development & Information Access Services, within a specified time period.
- The Collection Development Committee members will apply the criteria factors listed in section III in this Policy to verify the suitability of titles to be added to the collection.
- Titles selected for adding will be forwarded to the Head of Collection Development for ordering.
- The University community will be notified of decisions made.
- Original requestors will be notified of the decision made on their requests.
- There will very likely be titles which meet the established criteria factors; yet, due to budgetary constraints, cannot be subscribed to as new additions to the collections. The subject bibliographers will discuss with interested departments the possibility of substituting these titles for currently held titles determined, by the relevant department(s) and bibliographer, to be of lesser value in meeting current needs.
- There may be titles requested that are determined not appropriate to the collection. These titles will not be added.
Appendix Y: Replacement Serial Titles Procedure
A new title selected to replace a cancelled one will be forwarded to the Head of Collection Development for processing and adding to the library’s collection. Acknowledgement will be returned to the requestor(s) that the new title has been ordered (steps 5-8 of the above procedure for adding titles).
Substitute titles provided either by the publisher or a serial vendor (EBSCO, FAXON, etc.), shall not be automatically accepted to fill the subscription period of a journal that has ceased publication. All replacement decisions shall be made by library bibliographers in consultation with relevant academic departments.
Appendix Z: Collection-Wide Serial Cancellations
If the library initiates a comprehensive cancellation of periodical subscriptions, the following procedures will be followed:
- A “Library Journal Collection Review” form (or similar questionnaire document) (See Appendix 1) shall be sent to all affected faculty. Information will thereby be obtained as to the journals deemed critical (“core”) to a particular discipline by its faculty members.
- A list of critical journals will be compiled in each affected subject area. These lists will be compared to the journals attributed to and/or shared by a specific department.
- Departments will be informed of their current attributed and shared print and electronic journal subscription costs, and informed as to how much this total must be reduced to meet the budgetary constraints imposed on the library. Chairs, liaisons, and bibliographers shall be told on what basis the cost reduction figure for departments have been computed.
- A cost will be assigned to each subscription based on the most recently published figures available, and departments will be asked to review the lists of critical and non critical journal subscriptions. Departments will be asked to propose a list of titles that they wish to keep that will meet new cost constraints on journal subscriptions for the library.
- Journals chosen by departments to be cancelled will be reviewed by bibliographers and the Head of Collection Development against criteria described in Section III of this policy. Relevant concerns shall be communicated to departments where cancellations of journals will pose a hardship for accessibility, cost, & etc., not initially obvious (e.g., issues identified in section III of this Policy).
- A final list of journal cancellations shall be compiled. This list will be approved by the Library Collection Development Committee, chaired by the Head of Collection Development, and by the Library Director. The complete list, categorized by academic department, will be forwarded to library liaisons and Department Chairs, and to the University Senate Library Committee.
Appendix AA: Procedure for Canceling and/or Replacing an Individual Periodical Title.
- The selected cancelled title will be submitted to the relevant library bibliographer, along with a replacement title of equal or lesser cost if one is selected;
- The title(s) shall be forwarded to the Head of Collection Development for processing.
Appendix BB: Review of Serial Title Due to Cost Procedure.
Each year, the average subscription cost and average percent subscription increase over the previous year for all serials titles will be calculated. Based on these figures and the serials budget, the Head of Collections Development and Information Access Services and the Collection Development Committee will select a threshold percent increase for the year. The “threshold percent” will be at least the total percent journal subscription increase. A “cost increase threshold” will be set at the average journal cost increase. Any journal with a cost increase greater than the “cost increased threshold” and a percent increase greater than the “threshold percent” will undergo a mandatory review. [See Appendix CC: “Threshold Percent Calculation & Examples,” for an example of this calculation]
A department and bibliographer will be required to demonstrate the following for any title under mandatory cost review:
- That the title is of a “core” nature to the discipline, as compared against selection criteria outlined in Section III of this policy;
- That the content and quality of the journal cannot be found elsewhere, in either print or electronic sources, for a less excessive cost.
A department and bibliographer will be asked to review titles and substantially justify the journal’s inclusion in the collection as core to a particular academic discipline. Journals that fail to meet the selection criteria for continued inclusion shall be cancelled and/or substituted by alternate titles in the same discipline at a cost of equal or lesser value than the original subscription price prior to its increase.
Revised and Adopted 2/25/03