Reference, Instruction, and Collections Librarian
Join our staff as our new Reference, Instruction, and Collections Librarian at Chester Fritz Library - Univ. of North Dakota.
If interested, please apply by following UND's employment application process on the UND Job Openings page.
Category: 3405 Educational Services Professional
Job ID = 4266
The University of North Dakota, a member of the North Dakota University System, is a flagship research university located in the city of Grand Forks, North Dakota – a classic college town of 55,000 people located on the banks of the Red River of the North. UND was founded in 1883 and is the state's oldest and largest University, with more than 15,000 students (11,724 Undergraduate, 2,914 Graduate, 505 Professional (Law/Medicine) and 225 fields of study. Grand Forks is a northern city where residents enjoy 4 seasons of recreational activities and events. North Dakota has the lowest unemployment rate, excellent education systems from Pre-K through higher education and thriving communities. Winnipeg, MB is 2 hours away and Minneapolis, MN is 5 hours away.
CFL sees a creative, flexible, team oriented and technologically adept individual to assist in developing a user-centered library that supports the teaching and research mission of the University. This individual will
- Provide direct reference assistance to all campus library users in person and virtually.
- Provide basic and advanced information literacy instruction for general courses and assigned departments, in-person and online.
- Serve as a liaison to assigned academic departments, assisting with graduate student research and collection development.
- Provide support for UND’s new Open Access and Open Educational Resources Initiatives.
- Work with the Digital Exhibits Working Group to develop exhibits and displays promoting library programs and related initiatives and events.
- Have strong communication and public service skills.
- Graduate master’s degree from an American Library Association accredited program.
- One year relevant academic or research library experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook , Integrated Library Systems, information resource databases.
- Experience providing reference and research services.
- Experience in collection development.
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check.
- Experience using general office equipment.
- Degree or significant coursework in education or related areas.
Check available positions using the UND Student Employment search form. Notes:
- Select "Chester Fritz Library" from the "Employers" section of the forms to limit your search to the library.
- You need to run separate searches for Work Study and Institutional jobs. Work study positions require work study funding, but institutional jobs are open to anyone.
Approximately 100 students are employed by the Chester Fritz Library each year. Student responsibilities may include the following (depending upon area assigned):
- shelving books and stack maintenance
- assisting patrons
- assisting in mailings
- making deliveries to other University libraries
- answering telephones
- running errands
- providing computer support
- performing records management to create and update information on the library's system or Excel spreadsheets
- assisting with invoicing
- creating and affixing spine labels and attaching property information and security strips to materials
Applicants must be motivated, pay attention to details, display excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work both independently and in a team environment. Some positions may require only day-time hours.