How do I find books?
Checking for a specific book
Try searching by title first.
- Use the Books+ search on the library home page.
- Type your book's title into the search box
- Click Go
If you do not know the title, try searching for the author. Use the same procedure as above, but pick “author” from the drop-down box below the search box. If you know the ISBN of the book, you can search for that by picking "ISBN" from the drop-down box.
If your book appears in the list of results, we have a copy. Availability is listed before the call number. If it's available, then then make a note of the floor (see floor map), collection, and call number so you can retrieve the book.
Need help? Ask a Librarian.
Finding books about a given topic
You can search the library for books about a particular subject.
- Go to the Books Search
- Type your subject into the search box
- Change “full record” to “subject” in the drop-down box
- Click Go
Looking for just the right book can be time consuming. Here are some common problems and ways to fix them:
- There are too many results!
- Try narrowing your search results using the “Advanced search” link on the right of the search box.
- Alternatively, try adding more keywords to your initial search.
- I’m not finding anything!
- Try brain-storming alternate keywords. If you get poor results searching for “planes,” try “aircraft.”
- Try a general keyword search (the default settings).
- In some fields, authors usually write journal articles instead of books. Try searching for articles.
- I’m finding stuff, but not what I want.
- Try using your textbook or an article as a source of search terms and references. Writers on your subject may be using specialized vocabulary.
- If the results are off topic, then try the advice in “I’m not finding anything!”
- If the results are on topic, but don’t support your paper the way you expected, consider revising your thesis in light of new evidence.
- Nothing’s working! I’m so frustrated!
- Breathe deeply.
- Get a cool drink of water.
- Ask a Librarian.
Finding books at other libraries
For broader searches, try WorldCat, a combined catalog of thousands of libraries around the world.
The library can borrow books from other libraries for you through Inter-Library Loan. This is free to UND students, faculty, and staff in most cases. For more details, consult the Inter-Library Loan Overview.